Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Plan to Win: LSU Tailgate/Miss. State Review

Enough about the Mississippi State game already, I’m sure you’re thinking. I’ve been known to put myself through undue misery and duress over the years, but watching the game over on DVR (which I did earlier this week) completely defies all logic for someone ready to get over and move past one of the most frustrating experiences in my lifetime membership of Auburn fandom.

So, I decided that enough was enough and looked to happier times – like the Chik-fil-A Bowl last year when we decided to unleash this new-fangled attack. After seeing this game again, I can only think two things: 1.) we are playing ultra-conservative because those plays haven’t been called and I know they could work against LSU – or – 2.) our players have forgotten the little things that will help execute the schemes and designs better with six months of practice instead of six days. Given our past under Tommy Tuberville, I’d like to say it’s the latter choice.

We hear the word patience a lot, and I know that its one that has rubbed me the wrong way over the past few weeks (since I’ve had to be patient about way too much at work as well as what is displayed on the field by the offense), but things may not go all that smoothly this weekend against LSU’s fast, aggressive, physical defense. It is the best that we will face, hands down, and it will come in with a fiery intensity that should be matched by its counterpart in the orange and blue. Points will be very hard to come by, and it may take one team putting away the other with a back-breaking mental error leading to the winning score.

Assuming that we have been holding back, I feel as though the game plan we initialized against Clemson is one that would work extremely well against LSU. No, I don’t think Clemson’s defense is as good as LSU’s, but the way we forced Clemson’s speed against them was a thing of beauty (between the 20s). Nowhere to be found in the first three games were Mario’s touches and seam routes he ran to perfection. Nowhere to be found in the first three games was any semblance of play-action by either quarterback. Last week, for the first time, we saw the end-around to Fannin – who would have scored by getting past the last guy to trip him up. The plays were thisclose to going for bigger gains and more points, but State always seemed to have the shoestring to keep the touchdowns from coming to fruition.

My guess at Saturday night: lots of punts, a couple of missed field goals and a late Auburn score to give us the fourth (and most important until next week) victory on the season in 10-6 fashion. LSU fans think they’re going to come in and “handle” us at home, but as long as our defense refuses to walk off the field without a W, there will be no game in which we get “handled.” This is, by far, the best defense I’ve ever witnessed take the field at Auburn. (And I wouldn’t trade any of them for anyone on LSU’s team.)

First thing’s first when looking back on the tailgate last week, I have to tip my hat to two of my favorite Mississippi State fans in Chris Hussey and Hunter Aycock. The three of us played golf at the Highlands on Saturday morning with Robert Miller, and I had a great time hanging out with the three of them (regardless of their MSU ties). Hunter ensured that we’d be set up next to them with our tent by getting his fraternity pledges to set up the frame next-door to their two tents (which was a great location to describe to the rest of our crew already in Starkville). Thanks, you guys…again.

Joining Jeanie, Miller, my dad (who unfortunately did not break out All Auburn, All Orange, All Kirk attire for the game) and myself were the Monroe clan (featuring John, Andrew, Kaitlin, Carl and Marisa Dycus). Brad, Amber and Jared also made their way to the house from Sylvania. There’s never a dull moment when our families get together, and I just wish Taylor, Ellen and my mom had made the trip with us. Since we had an evening kickoff, all of us ate steaks at the house before coming up to Starkville around 2 p.m.

Robert, Jennifer, Brent and Joseph made their second-straight tailgate this weekend, and it is always a joy to spend time around that group. I just hate we didn’t get to see Carol or Amanda (maybe, hopefully, next game they all attend). Frank Buttler, Andy Shores, Matthew Shores and Doc made appearances as well. Last, but certainly not least, Katy Braden lightened the mood with her jovial personality and carefree attitude. Outside the stadium, as you can imagine, was a fun-filled atmosphere of confidence and fun.

My tailgater of the week award goes to three individuals for completely separate but equally important endeavors. For one, Andy Shores delivered one of the funniest (yet unprintable) quotes of the weekend while we headed to his dad’s house to drop him off following the evening’s activities. Second, Jeanie saved all the magnets on my truck Saturday night since it remained parked at Robert’s apartment by removing them and bringing them home. To top this off, she was a great sister and drove my truck home on Sunday so that I could keep working on a report at the house. Finally, Amber went above and beyond in her helping my mom with cleanup and setup for the meals at the house, and it’d be a shame not to point out her impact in my mom’s eyes.

Thanks to everyone who stuck around at the end of the night and helped out by carrying coolers, chairs, the canopy and the tent frame (Andy) to the cars. Once the State fans decided to be a tad bit less cordial, we decided it was time to hit the road and take our 3-2 win with us.

Now, we get the game we’ve waited all offseason to arrive. Last year, LSU used a last second pass that was just as close to being intercepted as it was to being caught for the game-winning heartbreaker. GameDay is coming, and our sign is ready. Without mom and dad, there will be little activities at the camper aside from sleeping and showering. Friday night, Katy, Andrew, Taylor and I will be going to the Jim Gaffigan show at the Alabama Theater in Birmingham and will meet up with Jeanie and Miller shortly thereafter.

The plan stands right now to arrive on the GameDay set between 5:30 and 6 a.m. Following the show, we’ll head over to Buffalo Connection for lunch and to try to catch as much of the Alabama/Arkansas game as possible (I wonder if Georgia Mitch will be watching in Athens…). Then, hopefully, we can make our way over to Andrew’s uncle’s tailgate near the upper quad. Following Tiger Walk and the game, race to Toomer’s and roll some trees before calling it a night.

If you’re in Auburn, please get in touch with me so that we can hang out. I’m still awaiting word on whether we have the extra tickets for the game, so if I’ve mentioned those to you, I haven’t forgotten.

As always, thanks for reading. War Eagle and BEAT LSU!

-6-

No comments: