Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Running Diary (C) Bill Simmons: My flight to Las Vegas

The following text messages were sent yesterday a.m.:

4:41 a.m.: On my way to Memphis and the airport.

6:57 a.m.: I will get going (posting for the website) when I get through security.

8:16 a.m.: About to board.

10:45 a.m. (PST): We just landed safe and sound.

So what happened in between? Funny you should ask. Here are my notes from the flight.

8:27 a.m.: I am in the geriatric section of the plane. Awesome.

(my Twitter activity around this same timestamp): VEGAS observation No. 1: Old people flock there. I am on the biggest plane I have ever ridden and in the retirement community.

8:25 a.m.: King of the Retirement Community: wearing a pink suit, white velcro strap tennis shoes, sunglasses and his Las Vegas hat. He was approaching 90 if I had to guess.

8:30 a.m.: All the shawls just came out when they announced the temperature in Vegas. A balmy 51.

(Note: From here, the timezones got all screwy so the actual time of the notes may be a bit off.)

8:31 a.m.: Is there anything more awkward on an airplane than getting stuck behind the drink cart when you need to use the facilities? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

9:24 a.m.: Had a State fan tell me War Eagle. Bammer on board who thinks the bear is still UA's coach was disgusted.

9:45 a.m.: Yep, there is something more awkward than waiting on the beverage cart to move forward. Using the facilities at 32,000 feet is darn near impossible. How a "Mile High Club" exists, I don't know. The stewardesses watch those doors like a hawk.

9:47 a.m.: How do you tell an old broad that she can't lean her seat back since it is complicating my use of my seatback tray while it is not in a locked upright position? Any ideas?

9:49 a.m.: Looking out over the desert. I could definitely live here in the land of cacti.

10:17 a.m.: If the Grand Canyon is cooler than this view, I can't imagine what it's like. We have made our descent into the Las Vegas area.

10:25 a.m.: The view? Desert, desert, desert, VEGAS.

I had a great first day, but I spent a lot of it walking. My feet are still killing me, but it's something I'm going to have to live with. After spending that much time on an airplane, I'll be able to rest them up for Arkansas.

- Went to eat lunch at Margaritaville near the Flamingo.

- Watched the Twins-Tigers game in the sports book at the Stratosphere. Real interesting experience, and I plan to catch most of today's baseball action at the top sports book in Vegas: Caesar's Palace.

- Saw the American Superstars show last night at the Stratosphere. It featured a mini concert from Elvis, Britney Spears, Tim McGraw, Carrie Underwood and Michael Jackson impersonators. I went for the Michael Jackson portion of the show, but all of the impersonators were dead on. Great way to spend $25 and 90 minutes of your Vegas experience.

- Walked the entire strip up and down yesterday, hence the feet killing me. It's about a 3-hour hike to/from Stratosphere and Excalibur.

- I stopped to watch the fountains at the Bellagio on my way back. That was worth this entire trip.

- The strip at night is also one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The lights and the weather make for a great stroll, even if your dogs are barking.

- My hotel room is straight out of the 70s. I think that's why its $92 for the entire trip, but it has served its purpose well.

- I had six alarms set for 4 a.m. PST to post this morning. I got done with my posting for CollegeSportsMatchups.com a short while ago and will now get back to sleep. Who goes to sleep at 10 p.m. during their Vegas vacation? This guy.

- I'll try to blog more tomorrow morning about today's goings on. Early favorites for my time: baseball at Caesar's Palace sports book, Vegas double-decker bus tour and Jersey Boys at the Pelazzo, although I'm thinking about catching a comedy show instead.

1 comment:

Bobby Bellew said...

Chris,

@Coachhal and I connected on an evening flight out of Dallas into Vegas a couple of years ago that was right the opposite of yours. Basically, the party cranked up on the plane. We had a younger couple behind us that were as close to joining the "Mile High Club" as you can get without actually doing it. One hour into the flight, the entire plane was out of liqour/beer, so you can imagine how juiced up the passengers were.

The Caesars sport book is ridiculous. We normally go to Vegas for sweet 16 week and unless you get there several hours early, you want find a seat. Great atmosphere though.

Have a good time. Keep the updates coming.

Bobby