Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tailgate Review – The “Trooper came home and West Virginians stink” Edition

What a win. I tweeted Sunday morning that it was in honor of all of us who made that godforsaken trip to Morgantown last year, which was detailed in the Tailgate Plan to Win. I stayed true to my guns – I did not seek out any WVU fans, but the ones that interacted with me found a surly Auburn fan refusing kindness. I hate to be blunt, but…they just did not deserve it.

There were several Mountaineer supporters sitting around us. Throughout the game, an aroma would fall upon our section unlike any other that we had smelt before. I just chalked it up to them being West Virginians. Also, something else learned this time around with these hillbilly folk: if you have no teeth, your screeching screams are amplified.

But that’s neither here nor there. On the field, despite terrible weather conditions and an even worse start, the team did what it does and clawed back to get a win. How much fun is it watching a group of guys play with heart and backbone, despite any and all odds? Methinks they are starting to take on the personality of a coach who might just be improving week-to-week with his troops.

Speaking of troops…Prior to Mississippi State, I was heartbroken and football was a great distraction. To have 40 people at that tailgate, all of which are close with our family, was the perfect anecdote to losing Rudi. But, to go further into that heart-wrenching story, I give you this tale.

On Friday morning, not even 48 hours after we made the choice to put Rudi down, mom and I were in Big Blue Bookstore perusing. I found Shug, a 15-month-old golden retriever. Aside from Zoe, our German wire hair pointer, our golden Ginger has always been my favorite of the dogs (many, many dogs) we’ve had. Ginger and I were the best of friends, even though she was technically Jeanie’s dog.

Zoe picked up right where Ginger left off when we had to bury her. She’s the first one I pet when I get to Macon and the one that got most all of my attention. When I brought Rudi to mom and dad’s for the first time, Zoe was angry with me. She had an attitude like, “What the heck? Aren’t I a good enough dog for you?”

But, back to Shug. He was just chilling on the floor and got excited when the store manager, his owner, came by and followed him diligently around the floor. I conveyed with mom how cool a name Shug was, and some of the Ginger memories came rushing back.

When we got back to the camper, we started to set up for the tailgate the next day. While we were putting up some of the tables, we came across a chocolate lab pup named Shug also. I felt as though, despite never hearing this name for a dog before, to have two dogs in 12 hours come by with that awesome name, it was a sign. I had decided on the name for my next dog, whenever it would come along.

But not until after football season, after all. I still had to mourn Rudi and get her stuff put away at some point. My family, however, had different ideas as to when a good time would be.

I learned that Sunday following MSU mom and dad spent hours trying to figure out how to get me a golden retriever. They searched high and low, even called Shug’s owner to find out if we could get one of his brothers or sisters. Finally, they found some golden retriever puppies in Iuka.

Thursday, mom and dad went to Iuka to pick Trooper up. They weren’t going to look at him, necessarily, but one of his two brothers. After telling the vet Rudi’s story, she insisted on Trooper. He’s the pick of the litter and is already housebroken despite being just nine weeks old. The vet’s plan was to keep him and keep working with him.

Mom tried out Shug, but Trooper was the name that stuck. The entire campground got to meet Trooper before me. Mom sent out pictures all day Thursday and Friday to people here at work.

I had no idea what awaited me in Auburn. I felt as though I had done something wrong, though, because mom wouldn’t talk to me all day and some people here at the office were avoiding me. After picking up Robert and Jeanie, we headed towards Auburn through the monsoon-like conditions and nightfall. We had to get several updates to mom and dad (and Trooper) on the road.

I must write here that I was under the impression that my dad had gone into Best Buy on Thursday during their drive to Auburn, and anyone who knows All Auburn, All Orange, All Facebook, All Kirk knows that he can’t leave Best Buy without a major purchase. My thoughts were that he had bought a plasma television. I even told some of the people here at work that knew about Trooper that he had gotten a TV. They fed that theory with all sorts of questions.

When we finally got to Auburn around 11 p.m., I was trapped inside the truck by dad. I asked him where the TV was as he finally let me get around the bed of the truck. He looked at me, smiling, and said that he didn’t go to Best Buy and didn’t buy a plasma. I wondered what was up with the lying, but I kept on towards the door.When I got to the first step to go inside the camper, Jeanie blocked me from going in and said, “Mom has someone she wants you to meet.”

Then mom appeared in the doorway with him. It didn’t dawn on me at first that Trooper was mine, the only thing I could think was “Why did mom and dad get ANOTHER dog?” Then all the dots came together. Finally, I had my own purebred golden retriever. I found out about the elaborate plan to keep him a secret, and I could do nothing but commend everyone on their secret-keeping abilities.

He’s perfect. He’s awesome, as you would expect from anyone named Trooper. He somehow knew instantly that he was my puppy. I’m amazed and humbled by everyone looking out for me through this. I didn’t think it was enough time, but Trooper is helping with the adjustment.

As far as the tailgate goes, we had a solid 17 including a few first-timers (Paul Crane, Katy’s friend Janis, Bryan Bowen and his son Carter) to go along with Andy Shores and his dad, Katy Braden, Brad, Amber and Jarrod Gregg, Robert, Jeanie, Super Rita, All Auburn, All Orange, All Facebook, All Kirk and myself. It was a good group. The menu was tequila lime turkey (which will make a reappearance at a later tailgate, perhaps for Thanksgiving), pork chops and pork tenderloin.

Tailgater of the Week is Amber. She took over in the kitchen when Super Rita went to the back to lay down with Trooper, and her efforts were very much appreciated. I’ll try to get the Tailgate Plan together for Ball State in the next 48 hours, but we’re looking forward to a smaller group as well as the first appearances of 2009 for Robert, Jennifer and Emma Boully. Stay tuned.

Do what we do, War Eagle and stay dry.

Chris

No comments: