Sunday, June 1, 2008

A quick update...

We had our first all-star practice. We have a lot of bats, which should help offset the drop off in pitching we might experience from last year's group. I think the group has a good chance at being really good in the field after a few practices and getting the chemistry down. One thing we're going to stress as a coaching staff is teamwork, teamwork, teamwork. They're getting the gist of it, but we're still a LONG way from being as good as we're capable of being.

I went to Little Rock this past weekend to spend some time with my second family, the Monroes. I can't put into words how heartfelt I am to have such a loving and supportive family open their arms to this Mississippi boy since I first became friends with Andrew at Auburn. Their hospitality is second-to-none. Thanks again, you guys.

Tommy Tuberville went overseas with a group of coaches to spend some time with our armed forces. (Included in this group is Jack Siedlecki from Yale, one of Natalie's new bosses.) I don't think I have to go into much detail to express how awesome it is to have Tuberville represent Auburn in such a strong, positive fashion. One of my favorite people in the AU athletic department, Todd Van Emst, was Tuberville's extra on the trip. What an amazing experience, all around.

I don't like Notre Dame, and I don't like Penn State. However, I am a bigger fan of Joe Paterno and Charlie Weis after hearing some of their comments the past couple of weeks. Paterno went out of his way to mention Auburn as a reason to have a playoff and called it "silly" that there's not a plan in place to protect a team as good as the one we had in 2004 from getting shafted in the future. Weis has crept up my list of favorite NCAA coaches for his involvement in the trip overseas and his little jabs at Alabama fans on Birmingham radio. Good stuff from two of college football's most influential figureheads and voices.

Auburn's baseball coaching search should produce a top-notch hire. If we end up with someone that is just going to be in the same situation four years from now that Tom Slater found himself, I don't know how supportive I can be of this program. I mean, we have the facilities, we have the top-notch talent, and we have a much-better situation administration-wise than following the 2004 season. Big names will want this job. We shouldn't have to settle for anyone, and that goes for Mississippi State as well. (Sorry, Tommy Raffo.)

That's all for now. Once again, thanks for reading and all supportive thoughts and comments people have left here. War Eagle, everyone.

-6-

No comments: